Thursday, February 24, 2011

Feb-Busy Trainer

I did a three day seminar this week with Greg & Laura Derrett. It is always a great experience to learn from such successful trainers. I know Nancy will have lots for all of us to work on in class. One thing I would encourage everyone to work on is reinforcement zone. Where is reinforcement zone? Think Belly button! If you are playing tug or treating in front of you then that is where the dog will drive to. Put your dog in a stay and practice having them run to you for their reward. Take a few minutes everyday to build this up before going to class.

1 comment:

  1. That has other applications as well as agility. I'm deliberately facing away from Solo, waiting till he's involved in something else that is going on, then calling him. I don't turn to call him-I pretend I don't know where he is or what he's doing-and he has to run around to the front of me and get his reward. It seems silly to watch-but some day I might NOT know where he is or what he's doing-and I want him to come when I call-whether I can see him or not.

    ReplyDelete